The second major ransomware outbreak using the NSA's stolen hacking tools took place this week. It drew immediate comparisons to the recent WannaCry attack, but there are important differences to make note of. Here's a roundup of the best news and analysis I've seen so far:
- MalwareTech: Petya Ransomware Attack - What's Known
- Microsoft: New ransomware, old techniques: Petya adds worm capabilities
- Ars Technica: A new ransomware outbreak similar to WCry is shutting down computers worldwide
- Microsoft: Windows 10 platform resilience against the Petya ransomware attack
- ZDNet: Six quick facts to know about the Petya global ransomware attack
- WSJ: DLA Piper, one of the largest law firms in the world, is still down.
- Splash247: Maersk, the largest shipping company in the world, has been reduced to using personal Gmail accounts, Excel sheets, and hand-written notes to service ports.